head of the Data Science Lab
- A. Barrat and C. Cattuto, chapter on Temporal Networks of Face-to-face Human Interactions, in the Temporal Networks book edited by Petter Holme and Jari Saramaki, Springer (2013)
- A. Machens, F. Gesualdo, C. Rizzo, A.E. Tozzi, A. Barrat and C. Cattuto, An infectious disease model on empirical networks of human contact: bridging the gap between dynamic network data and contact matrices, BMC Infectious Diseases 13:185 (2013). [online,PDF]
- C. Scholz, M. Atzmuelle, A. Barrat, C.Cattuto, G. Stumme, New Insights and Methods for Predicting Face-to-face Contacts, International Conference of Weblogs and Social Media ICWSM13, to appear (2013).
- C. Cattuto, A. Panisson, M. Quaggiotto, A. Averbuch, Time-varying Social Networks in a Graph Database - A Neo4j Use Case , Proc. of the GRADES2013 workshop on Graph Data-management Experiences and Systems at SIGMOD2013, to appear (2013).
- A. Panisson, L. Gauvin, A. Barrat, C. Cattuto, Fingerprinting temporal networks of close-range human proximity, proceedings of the PerMoby 2013 international workshop on the Impact of Human Mobility in Pervasive Systems and Applications, to appear (2013). [PDF]
- L. M. Aiello, A. Barrat, C. Cattuto, R. Schifanella and G. Ruffo, Link creation and information spreading over social and communication ties in an interest-based online social network, EPJ Data Science 1:12 (2012). [online]
- M. Salathé, L. Bengtsson, T.J. Bodnar, D.D. Brewer, J.S. Brownstein, C. Buckee, E.M. Campbell, C. Cattuto, S. Khandelwal, P.L. Mabry, A. Vespignani, Digital Epidemiology, PLoS Computational Biology 8(7), e1002616 (2012). [online]
- L. Aiello, A. Barrat, R. Schifanella, C. Cattuto, B. Markines, F. Menczer, Friendship prediction and homophily in social media, ACM Transactions on the Web, volume 6(2), article 9 (2012). [ACM DL]
- J. Lehmann, B. Goncalves, J.J. Ramasco, C. Cattuto, Dynamical Classes of Collective Attention in Twitter, WWW2012 (2012). [preprint]
- A. Panisson, A. Barrat, C. Cattuto, W. Van den Broeck, G. Ruffo, R. Schifanella, On the dynamics of human proximity for data diffusion in ad-hoc networks, Ad Hoc Networks 10, 1532 (2012). [DOI]
- J. Stehle, N. Voirin, A. Barrat, C. Cattuto, L. Isella, J.-F. Pinton, M. Quaggiotto, W. Van den Broeck, Corinne Regis, B. Lina, P. Vanhems, High-Resolution Measurements of Face-to-Face Contact Patterns in a Primary School, PLoS ONE 6(8), e23176 (2011). [online,PDF]
- J. Stehle, N. Voirin, A. Barrat, C. Cattuto, V. Colizza, L. Isella, C. Regis, J.-F. Pinton, N. Khanafer, W. Van den Broeck and P. Vanhems, Simulation of an SEIR infectious disease model on the dynamic contact network of conference attendees, BMC Medicine, 9:87 (2011). [online, commentary]
- L. Isella, M. Romano, A. Barrat, C. Cattuto, V. Colizza, W. Van den Broeck, F. Gesualdo, E. Pandolfi, L. Ravà, C. Rizzo, A.E. Tozzi, Close Encounters in a Pediatric Ward: Measuring Face-to-Face Proximity and Mixing Patterns with Wearable Sensors, PLoS ONE 6(2), e17144 (2011). [online,PDF]
- L. Isella, J. Stehle, A. Barrat, C. Cattuto, J.-F. Pinton and W. Van den Broeck, What's in a crowd? Analysis of face-to-face behavioral networks, Journal of Theoretical Biology 271, 166 (2011). [DOI]
- C. Cattuto, W. Van den Broeck, A. Barrat, V. Colizza, J.-F. Pinton, A. Vespignani, Dynamics of Person-to-Person Interactions from Distributed RFID Sensor Networks, PLoS ONE 5(7), e11596 (2010). [PDF, DOI]
- L. Aiello, A. Barrat, C. Cattuto, G. Ruffo, R. Schifanella, Link creation and profile alignment in the aNobii social network, Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Conference on Social Computing (SocialCom2010). [PDF]
- R. Schifanella, A. Barrat, C. Cattuto, B. Markines, F. Menczer, Folks in folksonomies: Social link prediction from shared metadata, Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Web Search and Web Data Mining, WSDM2010, New York, NY, USA, February 4-6, 2010. [PDF, DOI]
- A. Barrat, C. Cattuto, M. Szomszor, W. Van den Broeck and H. Alani, Social dynamics in conferences: analysis of data from the Live Social Semantics application, Proceedings of the ISWC2010 International Semantic Web Conference (2010).
- M. Szomsor, C. Cattuto, W. Van den Broeck, A. Barrat, H. Alani, Semantics, Sensors, and the Social Web: The Live Social Semantics experiments, Proceedings of the 7th Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC2010), (2010). [PDF]
- W. Van den Broeck, C. Cattuto, A. Barrat, M. Szomsor, G. Correndo, H. Alani, The Live Social Semantics application: a platform for integrating face-to-face presence with on-line social networking, First International Workshop on Communication, Collaboration and Social Networking in Pervasive Computing Environments (PerCol 2010), Proceedings of the 8th Annual IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications, 226-231 (2010). [PDF]
- H. Alani, M. Szomsor, C. Cattuto, W. Van den Broeck, G. Correndo, A. Barrat, Live Social Semantics, 8th International Semantic Web Conference ISWC2009, LNCS 5823, 698-714 (2009). [PDF,DOI]
- C. Cattuto, A. Barrat, A. Baldassarri, G. Schehr, V. Loreto, Collective dynamics of social annotation, PNAS 106(26), 10511-10515 (2009). [abstract,PDF]
- B. Markines, C. Cattuto, F. Menczer, Social Spam Detection, Proc. AIRWeb 2009. [PDF]
- B. Markines, C. Cattuto, F. Menczer, D. Benz, A. Hotho, G. Stumme, Evaluating Similarity Measures for Emergent Semantics of Social Tagging, Proc. WWW2009. [PDF]
- H. Tettelin, D. Riley, C. Cattuto, D. Medini, Comparative genomics: the bacterial pan-genome, Current Opinion in Microbiology 12, 1-6 (2008). [DOI]
- C. Cattuto, D. Benz, A. Hotho, G. Stumme, Semantic Grounding of Tag Relatedness in Social Bookmarking Systems, 7th International Semantic Web Conference ISWC2008 (nominated for best paper award), LNCS 5318, 615-631 (2008). [PDF,DOI]
- C. Cattuto, A. Baldassarri, V. D. P. Servedio, V. Loreto, Investigating Community Structure In Social Tagging Systems, Advances in Complex Systems 11, 597 (2008). [PDF,arXiv]
- C. Cattuto, V. Loreto, L. Pietronero, Semiotic dynamics and collaborative tagging, PNAS 104, 1461 (2007). [PDF]
- C. Cattuto, C. Schmitz, A. Baldassarri, V. D. P. Servedio, V. Loreto, A. Hotho, M. Grahl, G. Stumme, Network Properties of Folksonomies, AI Communications 20, 245 (2007). Special Issue on Network Analysis in Natural Sciences and Engineering. [PDF]
Conferences, Workshops, Schools
- Dagstuhl Seminar on Physical-Cyber-Social Computing, Dagstuhl (Germany), 29 September - 4 October 2013
- European Conference on Complex Systems 2013, Barcelona, 16-20 September 2013
- 4th Annual Workshop on Dynamic Modelling for Health Policy, Saskatoon (Canada), 16-18 July 2013
- Summer School on Networks, Information Science, and Social Media, Höllviken (Sweden), 10-15 June 2013
- 2nd Open Global Systems Science Conference, Brussels, 10-12 June 2013.
- NetSci2013 workshop on Temporal and Dynamic Networks: From Data to Models, Copenhagen, 3-4 June 2013
- 1st International Workshop on Public Health in the Digital Age at WWW2013, Rio De Janeiro, 14 May 2013
- 2nd International Workshop on Participatory Surveillance, Amsterdam, 15-16 April 2013
- Lorentz Center international workshop on Statistical Network Science with Applications, Leiden (NL), 2-5 April 2013
- 1st Social-IST workshop on Social Collective Intelligence, Venice, 26 March 2013
- panel on Turning (big) data into (big) value at the MTB Venture Camp 2012
- International workshop at the European Commission on Visions in Global Systems Science: models and data
- BigDive data science school
- Epiwork/Epifor 2nd International Workshop on Facing the Challenge of Infectious Diseases
- 4th year, the International eHealth Conference eHealth2011
- AAAI Spring Symposium 2012 on Intelligent Web Services Meet Social Computing
- workshop on Data Science and Epidemiology
- workshop on Dynamics on and of complex networks at ECCS2011
- workshop on Social Contacts and Mixing Patterns in Epidemiology
- IMERA workshop on Data-driven Exploration of Dynamical Networks
- Les Houches workshop on Data-driven dynamical networks
- general co-chair (with Giancarlo Ruffo) of ACM Hypertext 2009
- member of the Steering Committee of the ACM Hypertext Conference
- co-chair (with Filippo Menczer) of the Social Linking track at ACM Hypertext 2008 (HT2008)
- PC member of CoKM2007, Semnet2007, ESOE2007, KASW08, CISWeb2008. Reviewer for CSCW08. PC member of the Social Networks and Web 2.0 track at WWW2009. PC member of ECML PKDD 2009. PC member of the Data Mining and Machine Learning Track track at WWW2010. PC member of ECML PKDD 2010, MUSE2010, EKAW2010, KIELD2010. Senior PC member of the research track of ISWC2010. PC member of the Social Web and Web Science track, and of the Sensor Web Track of ESWC2011. PC member of the European Conference on Artificial Life ECAL11. PC member of the Social Media track of ACM Hypertext 2011. PC member of MUSE2011, MSM2011, LHD-11. Senior PC member of eHealth 2011. PC member of the Social Networks track and workshops PC member of WWW2012. PC member of ESWC2012. PC member of the Student Research Competition at Hypertext 2012. PC member of the social media track at ACM Hypertext 2013. PC member of the SWSC2013 workshop at ESWC2013. PC member of ACM Web Science 2013. PC member of the 1st International Workshop on Public Health in the Digital Age.
- Dagstuhl Seminar on Social Web Communities.
- lecturer at the Interdisciplinary College 2008 (IK2008)
- lecturer at the 1st Spring School on Social Media Retrieval (S3MR)
- lecturer at the International School on Complexity: Course on Statistical Physics of Social Dynamics: Opinions, Semiotic Dynamics, and Language, Ettore Majorana Foundation and Center For Scientific Culture
Erice, 14-19 July 2007 [link]
Projects and collaborations
- SocioPatterns - using wearable sensors to build an atlas of human contact
- CX-NETS - Complex Networks Collaboratory
- Multiplex - Foundational Research on Multi-level Complex Networks.
- PREDEMICS - Preparedness, Prediction and Prevention of Emerging Zoonotic Viruses
- COST Action KNOWeSCAPE - Analyzing the dynamics of information and knowledge landscapes
- DataInterfaces - complex systems science and interfaces between data and people
- EPJ Data Science journal - member of the editorial board
- elected council member of the European Complex Systems Society
- Truthy - Analyzing and visualizing the diffusion of information on Twitter
- StudioLab - a new European platform for creative interactions between art and science
- EveryAware - Enhanced environmental awareness through social information technologies, funded by the Future and Emerging Technologies program (FET) of the European Commission
- TAGora [FINISHED] - EU Project (FP6-IST5-34721), funded by the Future and Emerging Technologies program (FET) of the European Commission
- an article on Repubblica (Italian only) on our work on election-related Twitter conversations.
- a two-part interview by in La Stampa (Italian only) on data science: Molti numeri, grande scienza, and "So che cosa pensate e perché".
- press on the SocioPatterns project available separately here.
- Innovationcafe' interview on NEXT Open Innovation, April 12, 2010.
- F. Ferrazza, Affinita' elettriche con l'Rfid, Nova Sole24Ore, April 23, 2009.
- E. Manacorda, Lo so con chi stai parlando, Panorama, no. 17, p. 129, Aprile 2009.
- interview by E. Tola on Radio3Scienza, July 1st, 2008. [link, in Italian]
- N. Swaminathan, Tag, You're It: Scientists Describe Collaborative Tagging Sites like Del.icio.us, ScientificAmerican.com, 23 January 2007 [link].
- J. Bohannon, Folk Wisdom for Web Sites, ScienceNOW 23 January 2007 [link].
- B. Gallavotti, Come si spia il futuro di Internet: un progetto europeo indaga la folksonomia, La Stampa, 28 March 2007 [link].